Sweet potatoes are versatile tubers that have fewer calories than traditional potatoes or yams and are a powerhouse of antioxidants and nutrients.
Other crucial nutrients found in sweet potatoes include vitamin A& C, beta carotene, riboflavin, niacin, manganese, copper, and phosphorus. All of these contribute to a healthy heart and better vision.
Even if you can buy them year-round, their peak season runs from late October to December, so this is the best time to buy and stock them up.
But improper storage can make them go bad in just a week, often causing them to rot or sprout. Sweet potatoes can last for several months when stored properly.
but you need to follow proper storage procedures carefully in order to prevent them from bruising or spoiling.
How Do You Store Potatoes From Rotting?
- The best place to store your sweet potatoes is in a cool, dry, dark, and well-ventilated place at room temperature.
- Do not wash them before storing and do not buy the washed clean ones to store. Do not store them together with other foods.
- Preferably in a dark but ventilated corner on the floor of your kitchen. Or store them in paper boxes like in cartons or in a basket in your pantry.
- Avoid storing sweet potatoes in the refrigerator, which will produce a hard center and unpleasant taste.
How do you store potatoes for a long time?
- Discard bruised ones before storing. Check the sweet potatoes often and remove any that may start to mildew to prevent the fungus from spreading to the other tubers.
- Stored in this manner, the sweet potatoes can last up to 6 months.
How long can you store sweet potatoes?
You can store your sweet potatoes for at least five to six months only. Therefore, you have to stock your sweet potatoes near certain other vegetables. I hope this helps someone.
How to store sweet potatoes once cut while harvesting.
- You can store sweet potatoes once cut by keeping them in a cool and dry place.
- Avoid water contact by not bringing water or wet stuff close to it.
- Use firewood ashes and cover the affected areas then, store.
list of food you can make potato
- One great food that you can make with a potato is hash browns.
To make hash browns, you will need shredded potatoes, an egg, salt, and pepper. First, mix the shredded potatoes with the egg, salt, and pepper.
Heat some oil in a pan over medium heat, and then add the potato mixture. Press the mixture down into the pan and cook for about 5 minutes per side or until golden brown.
2. Another great potato dish is mashed potatoes.
To make mashed potatoes, you will need boiled potatoes, butter, milk, salt, and pepper. Start by peeling and boiling your potatoes until they are soft.
Then mash the potatoes with a fork or mixer Add in butter, milk, salt, and pepper to taste. You can also add other ingredients such as cheese or green onions for extra flavor.
3. Fried potato and Egg sauce.
Peel the potato and put it inside a bowl of water. wash and slice it, salt, and fry. Slice the tomatoes, onion, pepper, and green pepper. Put oil in your frying pan, and allow it to get hot. Add in chopped onion and allow to fry for 2 mins.
Add the tomatoes, and allow to fry. Mix up every other ingredient, crack and pour your egg into a soup bowl. Add salt to it, seasoning cubes, stir, pour into the tomato mix, cover and allow to cake. Stir and cook for another 2 mins. Bring it out serve.
4. boiled potato and sauce
6. Potato cheese
7. Potato omelette
8. Pan-fried potato
Check out our food recipes
- How To Cook Fried Egusi Soup With Tomatoes.
- 30 Most Popular Nigerian Foods That Is Heavenly Tasty 2022
- Nigerian Goatmeat Pepper Soup | Easy Guide.
- Nigerian Bitterleaf Soup Recipe
- Crispy Fried Chicken Drumsticks can be delicious.
- How to make Moin Moin/Moi Moi in tin
- How to prepare Garden egg sauce/ Eggplant sauce
- How To Cook Simple Party Fried Rice
- Cocoyam (Ede – soup thickener and swallow)
- How To Cook Buka Stew
- How To Make Nigerian Moi Moi Roll
- How To Use Stockfish And Its Health Benefits
- How To Cook Achara Soup (Ofe Achara).
- 25 Important Baking Ingredients.
- How to Cook Delicious Achi Soup with a Low Budget
We as well have this
- 24 traditional Ukrainian foods you must try in 2022
- 25 Important Baking Ingredients.
- How To Make Nigeria Pancake | Diet
- 27 Interesting Types of Bread from Around the World
- 35 Most Popular Mexican Foods You Should Try in 2022
- How To Make Quaker Oats | Step By Step Recipe.
- How To Make Pounded Yam Without Lumps ( Step By Step)
- 40 Best South Indian Foods To Try In 2022
- 24 traditional Ukrainian foods you must try in 2023
In conclusion, sweet potatoes are a nutritious vegetable that can be enjoyed all year long.
They can be stored in a variety of ways, so there is no excuse not to include them in your regular diet.
By following the tips in this article, you can preserve and store sweet potatoes for long periods of time, ensuring that you always have a healthy snack or side dish available.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.